Wednesday 15 February 2012

Ukulele Update 3+4

It's been a little over a week since I last posted about my progress on the Ukulele.  I've actually got two videos to post, but rather than make them separate blog posts I figured I would post them both into the same one to save on time.
The first video you will see documents my progress from my last video.  I've learned a few new chords to help me play the song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" as well as a new "Hawaiian" strumming pattern so it sounds closer to the original song.  You will also notice that I'm playing with a pick in the video, which is a little unorthodox, but you'll see why I decided to play that way for this Vlog.  Also good news...No animals appeared in the making of this Vlog!!! I triple checked to make sure I didn't have any stowaways before I started recording.
So here's the first of my two videos for this post:



The second video is my first real attempt at filming myself playing the song.  In the middle of the song I tried my hand at singing (unsuccessfully) but I've only got the Somewhere Over the Rainbow half of the song down.  I haven't really tried playing the "What a Wonderful World" half of the song yet.  When I filmed this I was kind of surprised that I actually sang a bit because I've never ever tried singing in front of any one before (aside from national anthems at sports games).  I think I found it easier to do because it was only me and my camera and I won't be able to see the look on peoples faces as they watch it which is nice!!
Here's my first attempt at playing the song on the Ukulele:

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm a bit late to the party, but I've just caught up on all your videos related to you learning "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on your ukulele. After watching them all, two words come to mind: Absolutely Brilliant.

    Your courage to record yourself learning something new and sharing it with everyone via your blog is fantastic. Your videos are informative and we can see and hear you progressing toward your goal.

    I'm not sure if you are looking for suggestions, but the only one I have is related to tuning. I would suggest learning to tune without an electronic device like you have been using.

    As you discovered, they don't work without batteries. Using the Internet is nice, but you won't always have access to the Internet. (I'm thinking if you take your uke camping.) Spend the money to get a nice tuning fork for one of your strings, (I have one for the E string), and then learn to turn your uke from that string. It takes practice, but the end result is you learn more about your instrument and you develop a keen ear for when your uke is out of tune.

    Keep up the great work and I look forward to your next blog posts related to learning this song.

    Zachary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt! I am enjoying listening to you learning this instrument. I have a friend who is an inspiring musician creating her first cd and I begged her to buy a ukulele so she could play somewhere over the rainbow at my wedding! Anywho.. she is unbelievable so like her on face book under Julia Dawn... here ( http://www.facebook.com/juliadawnmusic?ref=ts ) and youtube her under juliadawn27... here is a couple of my favourites.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWWiVyPltEY&list=UUNvAviTrR8pECSwVsLTtDGg&index=5&feature=plcp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWFON_Evz_I
    If you have any questions she would love to help you! Its all about the social networking when we learn right? Can't wait to hear the results. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @randilyninspired
      Thanks so much for your comment. I've been checking out the videos of your friend and they are truly amazing! If after this project I am half as good as her I will be happy. You're right, this whole process is about learning through social networking so as I continue my journey I will definitely contact her with any questions I might have!
      Thanks again.

      Delete