Wednesday 18 January 2012

Decisions, Decisions...What to learn for my Major Project

After some careful thought about what I wanted to learn for my major project for Ecmp355, I've come to the decision that I want to learn how to play the Ukulele.  There is actually an interesting back story as to why I've chosen to learn how to play this instrument, so pull up a chair, grab a nice beverage and read on.
During my internship this past semester I created a class blog for my students and their first blogging task was to blog a response to the following question: "In our world today peace is wanted by most people of the world, yet it appears to be such a rare commodity. Why is this? If so many people want peace, why don’t we have it?" I was really impressed with my students because I read so many wonderful and thought provoking responses on each one of their blogs. However, there was one response that  the whole class seemed to like the best, not because of what the student wrote, but because of the video they posted to go along with their response.  The particular student described peace and what a peaceful world could be like using the song "Somewhere over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole as their inspiration.
Here is the same music video that the student posed on their blog:




After the student posted this video, my class fell in love with the song and almost everyday before religion class we would listen to this song before we began.
I still keep in regular contact with my students using our class blog, and last week another student had commented on the original post with this song on it.  So as I read the comment I couldn't avoid the temptation to click play and listen to the song once again.  As I listened to how beautifully Israel Kamakawiwo'ole plays the ukulele in this song, I knew right then and there what I wanted to learn as my major project this semester.  Using this song as my inspiration, I want to successfully learn how to play the ukulele and learning how to play this song as a particular goal.  I think learning the ukulele will be a skill that I can transfer into my classroom and my teaching for the rest of my career!

No comments:

Post a Comment