Sunday 15 January 2012

About Me!

Hello and welcome to my blog!
About Me:
My name is Matthew Bresciani, I'm currently in my final semester of my Middle Years Education Degree at the University of Regina. I hail from Regina, Saskatchewan and have lived here my entire life.  I come from a family of teachers (my mom is a Teacher, my dad is Principal and my only brother is in his second year of Secondary Education also at the U of R). A few of my hobbies include: Staying active with Intramural Sports (I usually play Soccer, Floor Hockey, Football, Innertube Waterpolo and Dodgeball each week), watching my two favourite sports teams (Saskatchewan Roughriders and Edmonton Oilers), Watching my favourite tv shows each week (I have too many to mention here, that would be it's own blog post alone), and many more!

My Thoughts on Technology:
Technology is a wonderful thing! I'm not sure I would be able to survive without my computer. I use it for so many things (Email, Photoshop, iMovie, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, just to mention a few) During my internship I don't know if I could have been able to teach as effectively without the use of technology in my classroom.  I loved using youtube videos and our systems moodle videos to help enhance my lessons.  Setting up a class blog was something that I also found worked really well and really seemed to engage the students and help them to take responsibility for their own learning.  Here's the link to my class blog if you are curious as to how it was set up, however you will not be able to read any of the content because kidblog.org protects posts from public viewing. 

Since technology is so prevalent in today's society,  most students are using and becoming familiar with new technology all the time.  As teachers we need to find a way to use and adapt this technology into our lessons as a  means of engaging our students in their own learning.  Instead of viewing technologies that students are actively involved in as a negative, we could use new technologies (Twitter, Youtube, Cell Phones, Social Media, etc.) as a tool in our teaching to actively engage our students in their own learning.  Engaging students is fundamental to learning, so why not use technology as a means to achieve this?

ECMP355:
I am very excited to be a part of this class as I feel it will truly help me to become a better teacher.  I expect to learn about different kinds of technologies (after one class I've already learned a bunch!!) that I will be able to use when I have my own classroom.  Once I have completed this class I hope to have learned how to implement new technologies into my teaching, Successfully create and maintain a Professional Blog, Successfully learn how to play the Ukulele, and many more things that will come as a surprise to me over the course of this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment