Saturday 17 March 2012

The Digital Classroom


In my previous post I discussed the implications that the iPad 3 has for students as schools a like.  I was curious how long it would take for there to be a 1:1 ration of students to iPads within schools.  Through some conversations I had after my post, the general consensus was that something like this was still a few years away.  However, I just stumbled across an interesting article, When Digital Classrooms Become Reality.  The article talks about the new digital classrooms that are being created in the Philippines.  The school system in the Philippines formed a partnership with Vibal Publishing House Inc. (A Educational materials publisher) and Microsoft to help create these digital classrooms.  I won't spoil the article for you too much but just to give you an idea of how this partnership is working here's a blurb from the article:

 "In September 2011, La Salle Greenhills rolled out an entire digital curriculum from their elementary to high school honor classes using 14 e-textbooks in 500 Galaxy Samsung tablets. La Salle will issue another 5,000 tablets in 2012 to cover all students and teachers." 

Now that's amazing! While the tablets may not be iPads like I would prefer, this is definitely a giant step in the right direction to creating these digital classrooms.  Hopefully school systems in North America (Come on Saskatchewan!) will see the example that has been laid out for them and follow suit in order to create these amazing learning environments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment